It’s Friday!! And this post is long overdue. I was planning on posting it a week ago but that kind of didn’t happen because I was in LA and I apparently forgot my laptop charger. So forgive me but to make up for it these are one of the best desserts I have made in a really long time and I hope you enjoy them too! I got the idea of making these one afternoon where I really wanted something sweet but I didn’t want to eat any processed sugar so as I was looking through the pantry I saw some dates and shredded coconut and the idea was staring at me right in the face. And thus these were born!
- 2 cups chopped and pitted dates
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 3/4 cups shredded coconut (put 1/4 cup to the side)
- About 2 tbs coconut oil
- In a food processor coat the container and the blade (carefully) with about a tbs of coconut oil. This helps the dates not stick to the appliance.
- Add the dates, chopped almonds, and 1/2 of the shredded coconut into the food processor and mix until it’s all blended together. If it’s sticking a lot, slowly add a tad more coconut oil. If you somehow add too much oil add a few more chopped dates to balance the consistency out. It should end up looking like a paste.
- Form the paste into balls about the size of quarters. (About half a teaspoon amount)
- Roll the ball in the leftover shredded coconut and place on a tray/plate.
- Once you form all of the balls put the tray or plate in the refrigerator to cool and be ready to serve.
- You can also stick toothpicks in them to make them mini pops or to make it easier to serve to guests.
Note: I’ll be honest and say I used my coffee grinder to make my recipe and not a food processor. But I’m pretty sure it’s 100x easier using a food processor rather than a tiny coffee grinder.